The Avon New Cut
Leaflets and books
Browse the following for more information about the New Cut.
A Celebration of the Avon New Cut is a book produced by local experts and published by Fiducia Press, provides a fascinating account of the New Cut and its many features including its geology, history, wildlife and ideas about its future.
It contains an excellent collection of new and old photographs, maps and illustrations.
Copies (£7) are available via firstname.lastname@example.org
FrANC has published a treasure hunt containing 20 images to spot as you walk around the New Cut between Ashton Avenue bridge near the Create Centre and Bedminster bridge near Asda. You can download this (and the answer sheet!)
The route of the trail is shown and you are invited to follow the entire route or to tackle it in smaller stages.
Note that image 5 is located on the deck of Vauxhall bridge.
In order to see it, you will need to ascend the steps from the Chocolate Path and then return down the steps to resume the route.
The following are produced by FrANC except where stated:
- Circular Walks around the New Cut
- Discovering Wildlife on the New Cut
- Friends of the Avon New Cut
- Butterfly Junction
- Butterfly Species List
- Guide to UK Butterflies (Butterfly Conservation)
- Big Butterfly Count identity chart (Butterfly Conservation)
- FrANC Big Butterfly Count Survey Form July-Aug 2018
- Butterfly Junction Management Brief (Wessex Ecological Conservancy)
- Birds species list
- Tree species list
- Flowering Plants species list
- Plant species list
- Visit Bristol’s Local Nature Reserves (Bristol City Council)
- Avon New Cut Treasure Hunt
- Avon New Cut Treasure Hunt answer sheet
- Wildlife of the New Cut (an article by Richard Bland)
- Management Plan for the Avon New Cut 2014-2019 (Bristol City Council)